Needed 2D Artwork
The following is a list of artwork Naev still needs.
Ideally, each and every planet in the game would be unique, so no planet graphic would be reused. Currently this is far from being the case. One may check which planet graphics are used multiple times by running the dat/gfx/planet/check.sh script (requires sh or bash).
Planet graphics in Naev should adhere to the following guidelines.
- Size: The "default size" for a planet image is 450x450, including atmospheric glow. The planets can be bigger or smaller than this, but this size indicates a normal-sized planet. Planets smaller than this are considered small worlds, and if they're small enough they can be used as moons rather than planets.
- Format: All graphics should be PNG with a transparent background.
- Lighting: The planet should usually have a light and a dark side. The dark side shouldn't be completely dark, there should still be some of the planet visible. Preferably, the planet should be seen mostly from the bright side with only a crescent shadow, such as here.
- Atmospheric glow: It's a good idea to add an atmospheric glow around the planet. The glow should not be too thick or bright, and it should fade out on the dark side of the planet.
- Classes: Naev uses Star Trek-style planet classes. You can use this as a guideline on what kind of surface to give the planet.
Ideally, each and every planet in the game would be unique, so no planet exterior graphic would be reused. Currently this is far from being the case. One may check which planet exterior graphics are used multiple times by running the gfx/planet/check.sh script (requires sh or bash).
Planet exterior graphics in Naev should adhere to the following guidelines.
- Size: Our current graphics are 400x400 in size.
- Format: All graphics should be PNG with a transparent background.
- Content: The graphic should represent the planet at a glance. For uninhabited planets this would usually come down to a landscape scene, while for inhabited planets some infrastructure should be visible (depending on how developed the planet is meant to be). The image could even show a cityscape or part of a station. There are many possibilities.
- Classes: Naev uses Star Trek style classes for planets. You can use this as a guideline on what kind of exterior image to give the planet.
In an ideal world, each of our outfits would use a unique graphic, and each weapon would have unique in-space imagery as well. As it stands, many outfits share graphics. This is a script-generated list of over-used outfit graphics. This information is valid as of 2012-20-08, for the most up-to-date information run dat/gfx/outfit/check.sh.
For outfits that are upgrades of each other, it is acceptable to have the same graphic, or a recolored version of the same graphic.
The following is a list of outfits that should have their own graphics:
- TODO: TeraCom Headhunter Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/teracom_headhunter_launcher.xml)
- TODO: Enygma Systems Turreted Headhunter Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/enygma_systems_turreted_headhunter_launcher.xml)
- TODO: Unicorp Vengeance Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/unicorp_vengeance_launcher.xml)
- TODO: TeraCom Vengeance Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/teracom_vengeance_launcher.xml)
- TODO: Enygma Systems Turreted Vengeance Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/enygma_systems_turreted_vengeance_launcher.xml)
- TODO: Vengeance Missile (dat/outfits/launchers/vengeance_missile.xml)
- TODO: TeraCom Mace Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/teracom_mace_launcher.xml)
- TODO: TeraCom Banshee Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/teracom_banshee_launcher.xml)
- TODO: TeraCom Imperator Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/teracom_imperator_launcher.xml)
- TODO: Imperator Torpedo (dat/outfits/launchers/imperator_torpedo.xml)
- TODO: Unicorp Medusa Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/unicorp_medusa_launcher.xml)
- TODO: TeraCom Medusa Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/teracom_medusa_launcher.xml)
- TODO: Medusa Missile (dat/outfits/launchers/medusa_missile.xml)
- TODO: Enygma Systems Spearhead Launcher (dat/outfits/launchers/enygma_systems_spearhead_launcher.xml)
- TODO: Spearhead Missile (dat/outfits/launchers/spearhead_missile.xml)
- TODO: Hidden Jump Scanner (dat/outfits/activated/hidden_jump_scanner.xml)
- TODO: Six passenger quarter outfits: small/medium/large x economy class/VIP class (no link available)
The outfitters store pictures should be at least 128 x 128 PNG with transparent background, though higher resolution source material is also great. The outfitters pictures currently in the game can be browsed in the Git repository.
NPC portraits are just that, portraits of NPCs. They appear in the mission bar. Naev currently uses grumbel's portraits, but our reliance on a single artist is something we want to get away from.
What we need is a method of generating portraits from base components (head shapes, noses, eyes, etc.), in a "Mr. Potato Head" kind of fashion. For this we will need a good number of such components. Portraits will always show characters directly facing the player, so all components should be drawn from that perspective.
In addition, missions will always need unique characters. A list of the current needed portraits is kept track of at npc_portraits.
Since we implemented the Improved System backgrounds, backgrounds are sexier than ever. They include big glowing stars and nebula backgrounds. However we can always use more. They should be unique, enthralling and star-less. For the main part they should be "natural looking". For examples one can look at other video games like for example EVE at http://www.eveonline.com/wallpapers/ .
We are currently in need of the following special effects:
- TODO: Pilot "debris" corpse.
- TODO: Electrical Systems damage (small)
- TODO: Electrical Systems damage (medium)
- TODO: Electrical Systems damage (large)
- TODO: Ionization hit (small)
- TODO: Ionization hit (medium)
- TODO: Ionization hit (large)
- TODO: Plasma MK1 infection
- TODO: Plasma MK2 infection
- TODO: Plasma MK3 infection
- TODO: BioPlasma infection
- TODO: Active Electronic Warfare Activation (cloak)
- TODO: Active Electronic Warfare Activation (scan)
- TODO: Active Electronic Warfare Activation (jam)
Misc 2D artwork
Games require a lot of artwork. A good game will feature a lot of different types of artwork all over and during the entire game. It may not have to be even part of the game itself, but on the website, as promotional stuff, etc... Naev is behind in this aspect, which is why we'll mention ideas for more artwork we need here.
Below are some category ideas.
Naev has many images (tk.msg and friends) used in missions. It would be great to have each important message window to have an image of for example what is happened. A great example would be the advanced shipping mission where you do a prisoner trade and it goes wrong and everyone is getting killed. An image of a starport with explosions and lasers would look great. It could even be hand drawn.
- Advanced shipping mission with the explosions due to prisoner exchange gone wrong.
- Being detained temporarily when doing collective campaign.
- Celebration when finishing FLF missions.
- Celebration when finishing Dvaered missions.
- Picture of the painting being stolen in the baron mission.
Of course it would be great to go through all the missions and see everything that could be used.
It would be great to have promotional art. Showing depictions of for example how life is on the planets of the great houses. Or just random scenes of artwork related to Naev. It would have to be consistent with the lore but anything can be done here. It could even just be stuff like wallpapers.
More specific ideas:
- Depictions of the different Great Houses
- Depictions of different events in the game
- Fake advertisements for in-game products (get your cheap ragnarok beam!)